Civic Engagement Reporter
The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin is seeking an inquisitive and engaging reporter to produce substantial stories on local governmental activities, policies, people and planning that address public issues of the Walla Walla Valley. Reports are produced through traditional news stories, features and analyses, and traditional media, as well as on multimedia formats including video, audio and social media platforms.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits including medical/dental/vision, 401(k) and PTO. The Civic Engagement Reporter will be responsible for covering regional, municipal and county governments to focus foremost on issues of civic concern, government watchdog and problem solving. Ideally, we’d prefer a candidate with previous experience, but we are open to talented grads who are committed to quality and community engagement.
· Strong writing skills to convey information in a clean, concise and engaging manner;
· Experience working with digital media, including video, audio and photography;
· A professional aptitude to interact with and build community relationships and sources;
· Organized, detail-oriented and deadline driven;
· Assertive research and navigation skills;
· Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings;
· Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus, but not required.
Preferred (but not required) Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelors’ in Journalism;
· Minimum 3 years experience covering municipal government;
· Equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin is a vital community newspaper serving the people of Walla Walla and Columbia counties in Washington and northern Umatilla County in Oregon. We take pride in our “small town vibe” communities and encourage energetic writers to send a cover letter, resume and writing sample(s) via email to:
. Or mail to: WWUB * Attn: HR * PO Box 1358 * Walla Walla, WA 99362. EOE
Location/Region: Walla Walla, WA (99362)