BUILDING INSPECTOR IN-TRAINING Opening Date: February 10, 2020
Salary Range: $24.924 - $31.812/hour Closing Date: Open Until Filled
NATURE OF POSITION Inspect construction sites to assure compliance with safety standards, codes and regulations; examine construction drawings; specifications; and building project proposals.
Provide the public with information concerning construction codes and processes.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED General direction and oversight is provided by the Building Official.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1.
Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City's core values: Customer Focus - Excellence - Stewardship - Communication - Leadership - Integrity
2. Inspect buildings at various stages of construction for compliance with approved plans and the related construction codes adopted by the City of Walla Walla for the certifications obtained.
Includes building, plumbing and mechanical code compliance.
If the employee has only one certification then inspections will be limited to the specific certification until all certifications have been obtained by the employee.
3. Limited review of construction plans of homes and small buildings; assure compliance with building, plumbing, mechanical, Washington State energy and indoor air quality, and Washington State barrier-free codes.
4. Assist the Permit staff in issuing building, mechanical and plumbing permits.
5. Answer questions by telephone, in person or in the field regarding construction, plumbing, structural, insulation, plan requirements and accessibility requirements; interpret, apply and explain code requirements and ordinances.
6. Investigate and resolve complaints concerning alleged violations of City ordinances.
Document resolutions. 7.
Maintain related logs, records and files; maintain records of active permits; prepare related reports as requested.
8. Operate computer equipment to maintain inspection records and generate notices and other written materials.
9. Inform builders of code violations and necessary action for compliance.
10. Operate inspection vehicle, safety equipment and related equipment, including calculator, levels, gauges, light meters, rules and tapes.
11. Work with other city departments to address concerns related to building projects.
12. Attend seminars and meetings to remain current on code changes/requirements and related city ordinances.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS 1. Demonstrate punctual, regular and reliable attendance, which is essential for successful job performance.
2. Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure excellent customer service with internal and external customers.
3. Execute assignments, projects and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes; work independently and effectively with little direction.
4. Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
5. Provide assistance to staff and higher-level management; participate in resolving operational or interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
6. Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES The below knowledge, skills, and abilities could involve training on the job.
-- -- Building codes. -- -- Field inspection methods, procedures and techniques.
-- -- Construction procedures and methods.
-- -- Limited plan examination and review procedures.
-- -- Resolve conflicts in a positive manner.
-- -- Read and interpret codes and plans.
-- -- Work independently with some direction.
-- -- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED Standard office equipment; software for word processing; spreadsheets; and GIS (ArcView) and permit tracking software.
Ladders, flashlights and other equipment to facilitate inspection activities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS Climbing ladders; walking at site inspections; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; kneeling or crouching; crawling, bending at the waist; seeing to perform inspections; ability to communicate on the phone and in person; walk and climb for extended periods; lift, stoop and carry objects.
WORK ENVIRONMENT Indoor and outdoor work environment; seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions; driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Exposure to various dusts, chemicals, fumes, loud noises, odors, and gases at inspection sites; unsafe work sites; working from ladders and lifts to inspect roofs and/or roof top equipment, using safety harnesses and ropes when necessary.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Any combination equivalent to: college-level course work in architecture, building technology or related field
and three (3) years of experience as a contractor, engineer, architect, or as a superintendent, foreman or competent mechanic in charge of construction.
Valid State driver's license. Incumbents must possess ICC certification as one of the following: Building Inspector, Mechanical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector (either ICC or IAPMO), Residential Building Inspector, or Residential Mechanical Inspector.
It is preferred that applicants possess the Residential Building Inspector certification.
Incumbent must be able to obtain all other certifications within 12 months.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS Buildings Plans Examiner Certification.
Bilingual in Spanish. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
A completed City application and resume are required to apply.
Applications are available on the Human Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: https://wallawallawa.gov.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check and consumer report.
Completed application packages can be mailed to:
CITY OF WALLA WALLA-HR 15 N. Third Avenue
Walla Walla, WA 99362 Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (509) 524-7935.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Walla Walla will provide reasonable accommodation to disabled applicants if requested.
Please notify the Human Resources office at least 5 days prior to the need.
NOTE: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract.
Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT EMPLOYER
THE CITY OF WALLA WALLA DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.
MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Location/Region: Walla Walla, WA (99362)