We're building a new kind of Southern media company. Come join us!
After creating one of the most popular Southern brands on the internet, Red Clay Media is expanding to reach even more people. We're looking for video producers, writers and social media producers to help us get there.
We're a team of Southern storytellers -- filmmakers, writers and social media experts -- who together invented and grew the wildly successful It's a Southern Thing in 2017. Since then,
we've produced more than a billion video views and gained millions of followers. Now, we're adding more people to our team to explore one of the most culturally rich parts of the United States.
We're seeking new team members to help us implement some big plans. In this next round of hiring, we're looking for people who can help us expand the brand of comedy we're best known for as well as people to help us grow in new areas:
- Inspiration: We want to introduce our audience to more people who call the South home -- people like the Queen of Walmart Marlene and the Incredible Mr. E.
- Culture and customs: We're developing programming that speaks to an authentic, diverse Southern experience -- and starts conversations. Do catfish and spaghetti go together?
You'll create work that will live on our quickly growing digital brands that already reach millions of people -- and help us grow our content in new places, from books and merchandise to programming for small and large screens. You'll join a friendly, fun, creative and passionate team. We're looking for people willing to experiment, not afraid of change, open to hard work, brainstorming, collaboration, big ideas and taking chances. Our Emmy-award winning team has produced videos that have generated more than a billion views and our Shorty-award winning social brands have millions of followers.
We're based in Birmingham, Ala., a city with an affordable lifestyle that's known for top restaurants, stellar music and a growing tech startup scene. Birmingham is a few hours' drive from beautiful Gulf Coast beaches, Nashville and Atlanta, and it is the heart of a new South revival. We're open to remote work for some positions. Our parent company is publishing leader Advance Local.
Most of our roles have overlap and we encourage you to take a look to see if there's a way of fitting your passions and skill sets with us. Don't be shy, y'all -- reach out to us.
Cinematographer/Editor (inspiration team), It's a Southern Thing
Are you someone who wants to make videos that move an audience and inspire communities?
It's a Southern Thing is looking for a lead cinematographer and editor to work on our Inspiration team, which will focus on making feel-good videos about ordinary Southerners with extraordinary stories. This is an exciting opportunity to help us expand our shows to new areas outside of our well-known brand of comedy. We have a large audience that is hungry for more types of shows.
It's a Southern Thing is one of the fastest-growing social media brands in the U.S., with more than 3 million followers across Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter. We serve up relatable humor, inspirational people, and fascinating stories that break the stereotypes and show the South as the culturally rich, diverse, down-home place it really is. We're looking for someone with a love of Southern storytelling and an authentic understanding of this rapidly growing region of 115 million people.
We're looking for someone who excels at filmmaking with an eye toward emotional stories that connect with viewers. The ideal candidate is a strong cinematographer and editor who wants to collaborate with a team of producers to make highly engaging videos. Please take a look at some examples of the type of storytelling this team will focus on:
We don't expect candidates to be experts in everything, but we are looking for highly skilled filmmakers who understand our mission and want to work in an extremely creative environment.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Is a strong cinematographer.
- Has a good knowledge of and interest in Southern culture and people.
- Is a strong editor who can find emotion in pieces and bring that out in editing.
- Is organized and dedicated to making a system that works for streamlining editing.
- Works with production crews to create a style for different shows and projects.
- Can generate ideas and execute them.
- Is energetic and excited to create shows and videos that will reach large audiences.
- Makes video that works on social media and will adapt with the everchanging landscape of digital media.
- Is good at conceptualizing and preproduction.
Pluses but not required:
Please send the following to email@example.com:
- A brief introductory email (include the job title in the subject line)
- Links to work samples (please detail exactly what you did in each video if it is a large collaboration)
- Three examples of subjects that fit the types of stories we've described above
- Three examples of films that are emotional and well made you think would fit the brand. These should be outside examples of films or docs you'd draw inspiration from when making films, documentaries and social videos here.
This position is full-time and can be based in Birmingham, Ala., or Atlanta. Travel is required for this position.
Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus.
Advance Local includes MLive Media Group, Advance Ohio, Alabama Media Group, NJ Advance Media, Advance Media NY, MassLive Media, Oregonian Media Group, Staten Island Media Group, Advance 360, The Alpha Group, Headline Studio, PA Media Group, and our Enterprise Digital Innovation team. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.