TEMPORARY SANITATION OPERATOR (6-month duration)
Opening Date: October 18, 2019 Salary Range: $17.00/hour
Closing Date: Open until filled NATURE OF POSITION
Drive and operate sanitation rapid rail, roll-off, rear-end loader trucks and open-bed trucks to perform automated and manual labor in loading, hauling and dumping refuse and recycling.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED General direction and oversight is provided by the Solid Waste Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1.
Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City's core values: Customer Focus - Excellence - Stewardship - Communication - Leadership - Integrity
2. Drive truck on designated routes and operate sanitation rapid rail, roll-off, rear-end and front-end tractors and open-bed trucks on assigned trash routes; perform manual labor in loading, hauling, and dumping refuse and recycling.
3. Back up and drive truck in congested areas; load trash into truck; operate compactor and automated systems on truck; operate compactor and other truck levers and buttons.
4. Dispose of refuse at landfill site.
5. Maintain vehicles in proper operating condition; check fuel, oil and water daily; submit truck repair orders as needed.
6. Repair or replace trash containers and sub-standard garbage cans as needed.
7. Drive medical waste truck on an assigned route; transport and dispose of medical waste.
8. Assist other sanitation workers as assigned; drive on green waste routes and participate in picking up dead animals as assigned.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS 1. Demonstrate punctual, regular and reliable attendance which is essential for successful job performance.
2. Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure excellent customer service with internal and external customers.
3. Execute assignments, projects and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes; work independently and effectively with little direction.
4. Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
5. Provide assistance to staff and higher-level management; participate in resolving operational or interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
6. Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES -- Basic operation of rapid rail, roll-off and rear loaders and dump trucks.
-- Proper lifting techniques. -- Applicable health and safety procedures and regulations.
-- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
-- Operate assigned equipment required to perform assigned tasks.
-- Maintain assigned equipment and inspect fluid levels.
-- Learn commercial and residential trash routes throughout the City.
-- Learn division and department objectives and policies.
-- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
-- Work independently with little direction.
-- Perform heavy physical labor. -- Observe health and safety regulations.
-- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED Office equipment including computer terminals; heavy equipment vehicles; specialized tools.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS Sitting and standing for extended periods of time; walking over rough or uneven surface; seeing, hearing and speaking to exchange information; intermittently kneel down, stoop, bend at the waist; lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds; climbing in and out of a garbage truck; heavy physical labor; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; carrying; pushing and pulling; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of buttons and levers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT Outdoor work environment; regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors; subject to seasonal and adverse weather conditions; noise from equipment operation; driving a vehicle to conduct work; exposure to offensive fumes, dust, odors and vapors; potentially hazardous materials; working around and with machinery having moving parts; working around moving traffic.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school or completion of GED; sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above.
Valid State Commercial Driver's License Class B.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS Bilingual in Spanish.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE: A completed City application and resume are required to apply.
Applications may be found on the Human Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: wallawallawa.gov.
Special application requirements include:
-- -- 3-year driver's abstract available from the Department of Motor Licensing is required to apply.
-- -- The successful incumbent with a valid CDL must pass a pre-employment drug test and will participate in random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check and consumer report.
Location/Region: Walla Walla, WA (99362)