0911 – Trades Maintenance Technician
(Building Maintenance Technician – Mission Road/Jail Complex)
Starting Salary: $16.84/hr
This position is in the Mission Sub/Jail Division of the Pima County Facilities Management Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 36
Performs routine trades or craftsman duties above the helper or apprentice levels, maintaining and repairing facilities, equipment, vehicles, their parts or surrounding grounds in direct support of a process, system or facility. Also, participates in construction or renovation activities. Work requires manual labor and the use of hand and powered tools, equipment and/or vehicles and frequently involves repetitive individual tasks in a variety of work settings.
- Two years of experience performing helper or apprentice level duties in building maintenance, plumbing, HVAC, electrical or locksmithing. (Relevant training or education may substitute for up to one year of the aforementioned experience.) OR:
- One year of experience within Pima County as a TM Helper in building maintenance, plumbing, HVAC, electrical or locksmithing. Some positions may require additional specialized training and/or experience. (Relevant training or education may substitute for up to six months of the aforementioned experience.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Two (2) years of general maintenance experience:
- Repair or replacement of sinks.
- Water closet urinals.
- Faucets, flushometers of commercial/institutional grade fixtures.
- Repair or replacement of centrifugal pumps and vertical ejection pumps.
- Experience reading and interpreting rough drawings and mechanical blueprints.
- Experience in preventative maintenance programs.
- Experience assisting in plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, locksmiths.
- Experience maintaining and cleaning evaporative coolers.
- Experience changing out fluorescent lamps and ballasts.
- Experience maintaining and repairing commercial building equipment.
- Experience with manual labor and the use of hand and power tools.
- Experience using personal safety and protective equipment.
- Knowledge of OSHA guidelines.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Service's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Some positions may require Arizona certification as an herbicide/pesticide applicator at the time of appointment or prior to completion of an initial/promotional probation period.
Special Notice Items: Ability to obtain jail pass and post offer physical is required. The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions may carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-borne pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions may require any or all of the following: lifting and carrying up to seventy-five pounds or more; safely operating assigned vehicles and other powered equipment; working in extremes of heat, humidity, dust, or cold; wearing required safety clothing and equipment; working with or in the presence of obnoxious odors; working with noxious or potentially hazardous chemicals, compounds or products; ascending and descending ladders and stairs to reach and work upon elevated or below-grade work platforms and job sites; differentiating between colors.
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled.
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 2019-01226.
About this company
The Human Resources Department partners with clients to recruit and retain a highly committed, highly competent, and results-oriented workforce by leading Pima County in the acquisition, maintenance, development and measurement of its human assets and by providing various employment-related services and activities. Services include: Recruitment and Selection, Classification and Compensation, E-Verify®, Personnel Records, Employment Rights, ADA Administration, FMLA Administration, Employee Benefits and Wellness, Management Training, Performance Management, HIPAA / Privacy Practices and Federal, State and local labor reporting.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ